Tuesday, July 10, 2012

CPR and choking emergencies


I’m at my center and we are setting up for lunch my co- teacher is setting the tables, we have two children helping setting up lunch. As we go and wash our hands the kids find their chairs and sit for lunch. Head start prepares our meals and make sure that the foods the children eat are not choking hazards. I had a 4 year old little girl who is the talker of my table; this is in a preschool setting in head start school. She is talking, talking, talking, and talking while she is eating, I’m always saying don’t talk when your mouth is full constantly. This particular day she is doing the same thing talking while she is eating her fruit coattails, when all of a sudden it’s quite at my table, one of the kids say Ms. Tonya Jziyah can’t talk I look up and she is holding her hands over her throat, I jump up grab her and start doing the helices maroon and it popped out it was a piece of fruit lucky I caught it before she stopped breathing but she was beginning to turn blue-grayish. Her mom was called my co- teacher called 911 and they took her for observation.

We was over to a church friend of ours, she was having a pool party for her son. Everybody was having a great time, getting in and out of the pool. It was time to eat, her son realized that one little girl was not sitting to the table, he ran back to the pool and there she was at the bottom of the pool. Mica jumped in and pooled her out, ma and her mother started doing CPR, I’m not sure how long she was down but she was not breathing she had turned blue Mica called 911. We worked on her for an awhile and we got her to start breathing again. They had to fly her to the all children’s hospital; they told us that they were glad we started CPR as quick as we did. Without that she would not have made it or be alive today. It was a scary situation, and I thought that I could have not responded if I seen something happens as scary as that, but I jumped right in. That taught me a lesson when you are at a pool party d a head count every time you or kids get or out of the pool.

Being an educator that is why it is god to have your CPR and first aid training you will never know what might happen in school or at home. It is mandatory that you have CPR and first aid training when working with kids.

1 comment:

  1. Tonya,
    Those are some scary situations to be in. I'm glad they both turned out alright. I once had to flip a toddler over and give him a couple pats on the back to dislodge a crayon. Thankfully i reacted quickly and it wasn't stuck too deep. Having CPR training helped me know what to do and it made me confident. i think everyone should have training even if they do not work with kids. You never know when and where you'll be when an emergency strikes. You could be the difference between life or death.

    ReplyDelete